Thursday, February 7, 2013

Breathe (Sea Breeze, #1) by Abbi Glines - Reivew


I was just thinking about how hard it is for me to write New Adult book sometimes reviews. I’m very rarely blown out of the water, but for the most part enjoy even the books that weren’t very well written. I’m a sucker for a good romance and so of course, I ended up really loving Breathe’s story. It was different, the concept was unique and the characters were easy to fall for.



Breathe tells the story of Sadie White whose mother is nothing like a mother should be. She’s beautiful, but she’s promiscuous and has found herself pregnant. While Sadie’s mother leaves everything up to Sadie when she’s not pregnant, it’s no surprise that with a child, she’s useless. Sadie is forced to end her summer vacation before it’s even begun and has had to start working as a servant in a mansion on an island in Sea Breeze, Alabama. Without realizing who she’s a servant for, Sadie starts her job only to find that she’s working in the most popular and sought after rock star of his age, Jax Stone. He takes an interest in Sadie and she soon finds her world is turned upside down as she gets to know the guy behind the guitar.

First and foremost, I want to get my biggest issue with this book out in the open. Insta-love. That’s right. Instant love happened in Breathe and it really threw me for a loop. I was disappointed! I love reading about the chase, but Sadie and Jax seem to jump into the “I love you’s” and “I can’t be without you’s” without really spending much time together. It was frustrating... I liked their characters, but this aspect of the plot almost made me stop reading.

Putting my insta-love issue aside, I really enjoyed this book. The characters were fun, I loved the idea that a young girl working for a living, meets and falls for the guy that every girl in America wants. It’s very Maid in Manhattan.

I also loved that the setting was in the South. I’m a Southern girl transplant living in the Northeast (what was I thinking...) and so I love reading those stories that have sweet guys that say “yes ma’am” and “ya’ll.” That’s what I grew up hearing and it’s comforting. Did I fall for a well mannered, southern gentleman in real life? Of course not, my guy is a Yank in every sense of the word. Loud, New York accent, Yankie’s fan... but the heart wants what the heart wants.

I’m cheating as I write this review because I’ve already flown through the 3 other books in the series and so I have to tell you now, it gets better. Oh man, do these books get better. The insta-love problem is no longer an issue in the books to come and they get steamy... oh boy, do they get steamy! It’s a good sign if I read 3 books in one weekend... and that’s what happened. I couldn’t read them fast enough.

Breathe was a quick, sweet read and got me excited for the Sea Breeze series as a whole. Abbi Glines has me in her sights and I don't think I'm going to be able to stop until I've read all her books.

7 out of 10

Happy Reading :)


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I really want to read these. I've never actually attempted to read an Abbi Glines book, but she sounds like a more mature Sarah Dessen (especially with the New Adult genre and all). And her covers blow me out of the water. Almost all of them are drop dead gorgeous. I'm glad the series gets better with each book! I may actually read the series closer to the summer. Seems like an excellent beach-read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely describe Glines as a more mature Sarah Dessen. I grew up reading Dessen's books and they have that same kind of feeling, just a little more adult in the romance department.

      I actuallly went nuts and read almost all of the books by Abbi Glines in the past two weeks (woops!) but while they were all really great, the Sea Breeze series is definitely at the top of the list.

      Delete
  2. Great book review! I might be able to get this one. :)

    ReplyDelete