Thursday, December 6, 2012

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White - Review



I want to start this review off to explain a little bit more about where I got this book. If you're a blogger (and even if you're not) and you haven’t heard about the YA Book Exchange yet, you're sorely missing out. This new site is a trading post for YA books. Essentially, you add books to the site and communicate with other traders to trade for books you want! I traded Wake by Amanda Hocking for this little gem and I've done a lot of other trades on the site as well. It's a great place to get to know others in the blogging community and trade your books for ones you've been dying to get your hands on! 

Paranormalcy follows the saucy Evie. She's just your average teenager who loves watching sappy high school dramas and of course has boy trouble, except for the fact that she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency. Along with her trusty pink and rhinestoned taser, Evie helps to keep paranormal creatures out of human’s way. She longs to be a normal teenage girl who goes to high school and has a locker... but things start to change as her faerie ex-boyfriend begins popping up in her life and a new shape shifter in town warns of paranormals being murdered all across the world. It seems the fate of the world may just be weighing on Evie's little sassy shoulders.

This book got me from page one. It was a quick and fun read that had me literally laughing out loud. There are some pretty serious parts in Paranormalcy, but Evie's cute personality shines through the hard parts.

I think Evie really made the story for me. Not only is she obsessed with trashy TV, shopping for outlandish clothes and boys, but she finds things like having a locker at school to be fantastically awesome, because she's never had one. She's also got a mouth on her and I know that after reading this story, Evie and I would be best friends in real life.

I always like reading new ideas in the paranormal genre. I feel like we're constantly seeing sparkly, sweet vampires and werewolves who learn to control their turning. In this story, Evie can see through the vampire's glamour’s and sees their old, wizened bodies through their sparkly exterior. It was fun to see a new take on paranormals!
Overall, the story had great pacing, maybe a few slow spots in the middle where the story was building, but I really enjoyed reading Paranormalcy. I'll probably pick up book two on a lazy Sunday when I'm looking for something to brighten my day. In a genre where dark and deep seem to be the norm, it was refreshing to read a paranormal romance that stayed with the themes, but had a lighthearted flare.

8 out of 10

Happy Reading :)

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I loved Paranormalcy! It was definitely a quick, cute and highly enjoyable book. Evie is totally my favorite. She's utterly fabulous! I loved how bright, bubbly--yet smart she is. So glad you liked this one! I look forward to your review(s) on books two and three. *hoping you continue with the series*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to be reading the other two in the series! Maybe not for a while, but I know when I need a littl pick me up... I'll definitely go for book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're pretty quick reads too, easy to fit in between others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're liking YA Book Exchange, Allison! It's great that Paranormalcy is such an original, light paranormal book. I agree that there are so many of the same paranormals. I can't bring myself to read another vampire book, lol! Awesome review :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I know right? I'm on a vampire strike at the moment!

    ReplyDelete