Saturday, December 29, 2012

In Flight (Up In The Air, #1) by R.K. Lilley - Review


I have been tearing through the romance novels lately. I can't seem to buy them fast enough and so I picked In Flight because it was high up on the New Adult list on Amazon.


In Flight tells the story of Bianca, a first class flight attendant who has an extreme rags to riches story. Growing up with an abusive father and later becoming homeless, Bianca now treasures everything she has. She's got a great house, a great friend and a job that allows her to travel all over the country. One day on a routine flight, she meets James Cavendish. This gorgeous and enigmatic billionaire won't take no for an answer when he pursues Bianca. While it seems like a fun and romantic ride, their troubled pasts may just ruin their futures.

Now, this was not one of my favorite romance novels. It's another one of those stories on the heels of Fifty Shades of Grey and it just didn't do the theme justice. I'm all for stories that follow the similar structure of Fifty Shades... if they're done well. There are not to many out there. I ended up enjoying Bared to You as I got further in the series, but most of the books following the Christian and Ana route are just poor attempts.

I did really like Bianca's character. She had a bad past which lead her to be very protective of her future. She valued that which she had and she guarded her heart. I loved her independence and her defiance in the face of a very domineering and controlling man.

As I said earlier, the writing wasn't stellar and the story was fairly predictable. The one thing that caught really caught my interest was Bianca as a character and finding out about her past. I will be gong on to read book two because I feel like I owe this one the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully it gets be excited about the series!

5 out of 10

Happy Reading :)
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. As far as adult books go, this one doesn't sound too bad. However, I'm not really into the fifty shades-types so more than likely I wouldn't read this one. I'm glad for the most part you were able to enjoy this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one I picked up for under a dollar on the Kindle and read it because I was super stressed and I wanted a no hastle romance. I wasn't blown out of the water by it's originality... but it kept me busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just got this on my kindle, I haven't started it yet but I can't wait to read it! Thanks for all your reviews, I like that you seem to have a variety of different genres!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not the best book I've ever read, but it was entertaining and I went on to read book 2 and it was a fun read as well.

      Delete