Thursday, December 27, 2012

Easy by Tammara Webber - Review


Wow. Easy has completely blown me away. I had seen this book around a lot in the blog-o-sphere and everyone seemed to be raving about just how great it was. Many of you may know that recently, I've really been getting into the New Adult genre reading books like Dublin Street, Beautiful Disaster and The Edge of Never. I decided that I absolutely had to read Easy and the only thing that I'm disappointed in is that I didn't start it sooner.
Easy tells the story of Jacqueline. Her boyfriend, whom she followed to college, calls her the Jackie to his Kennedy. At a party at Kennedy's frat house one night, Jacqueline is attacked by someone she considers a friend. On the verge of being raped, she is saved by a dark stranger whom she never expects to see again.

This book was simply amazing and I loved every minute of the  time I spent reading it. I felt bad for my boyfriend... he would want to go out to dinner or watch a movie and for two days when I got home from work, all I could do was read this book!

The best part of Easy was the characters. All of them! I absolutely LOVED Jacqueline. Her growth in this story was not only interesting to read, but she taught the readers how to become strong and independent women, but more on that later. Lucas...  I don't know where to start. His story is not only tragic, but heartwarming. This dark and dreamy tattooed guy will melt your heart and make you fall in love all in one breath. Lucas.

The theme in Easy also sets it apart from other books in this genre. Rape. That's a hard topic to tackle when we're talking about young women readers. With popular books like Fifty Shades of Grey and Bared to You, it seems like the common theme in romance is BDSM. Relationships where people with abuse in their backgrounds pursue relationships in which they abuse and dominate their sexual partners. Now reading books like Fifty Shades and keeping them in the fictional part of your brain while still remaining a strong and smart young woman was something that I was able to do. While I liked reading those books, I still understood that I would never been in a relationship where I was "punished" or touched in any way that was not affectionate and loving. But for some younger readers, it may seem like the norm to pursue these relationships filled with sexual violence.

Webber took a different approach and took the subject of rape in a college atmosphere and fleshed it out. When Jacqueline was attacked, it wasn't by a random stranger in the park, it was someone that she knew and was comfortable with at a party where drinking was involved. After she was attacked and finally told her best friend, her friend signed them up for self defense courses and she learned how to try and defend herself. When someone else was raped on campus, not many people believed her and a lot of people tried to guilt her into not reporting her attack. These are all very real, very hard things that happen in reality and Webber did a great job in bringing this story out to teach her readers that rape is never okay nor is it something that you keep a secret. That you always need to keep your guard up because the bad guy, is not just a scary man in a mask but it may be the boy who hands you a drink at a party or your boyfriend's best friend.

Hot topic aside, Webber did a great job in creating a story and characters that were easy to fall in love with and hard to forget. If you read one contemporary romance this year, it better be Easy.

10 out of 10

Happy Reading :)

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I need this book so damn badly!!! Every time I take a trip to Big Y Supermarket I see it on the shelf, daring me to pick it up... Of course the other day I did pick it up and when I saw that the paperback was like 16 bucks I put it back down. LOL. I really want to read this one because everyone and I mean EVERYONE seems to love it. I have yet to see a negative review! Your enthusiasm has just made me even more excited to read Easy. When I get low on books to read I need to just buy this one from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lauren... you NEED this book!It was so, so wonderful and it's still hanging with me and I read it a while ago. I would shimmy this one to the top of your TBR pile ma'am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I loved this one too! It was so great and I think Webber did an excellent job handling a topic such as rape. I'm actually picking up Beautiful Disaster soon so hoping I love that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you like Beautiful Disaster Traci! I loved it and I cannot wait for the second book (which is told from the boy's point of view) to come out!

    ReplyDelete