Monday, November 19, 2012

Firelight (Firelight, #1) by Sophie Jordan - Review


Now, I'm not sure where to start with this review. I don't think I can say enough about how much I truly enjoyed reading this book. Firelight restored my recently fading faith in YA books and I couldn't get enough of Jordan's characters and the unique world she build around them.


Firelight tells the tale of Jacinda, who happens to be a descendant of dragons. Being part of the Draki, turning into dragons and soaring over the world is all that Jacinda has ever wanted. Even after losing her father, she still takes joy in soaring high in the air in her true form. When her life is threatened, her mother moves her into hiding in Arizona of all places. Jacinda not only hates the dry, arid heat of the desert, but she's losing her Draki... until she meets Will. Will ignites a fire in Jacinda that she thought was lost after moving from her mountainous home. But everything may not be as it seems as Will may be her saving grace, or the one that destroys her.

This story was so beautifully written. Her way with words and the descriptive language that Sophie Jordan uses in her story will knock you off your feet. Readers will feel the passion that Jacinda has for being a Draki and the longing she feels to be herself. It is very rarely that you read a book that  tugs on your heartstrings and makes you splay a hand across your chest while fighting tears and this was one of them. I could not stop reading this wonderful story and I quickly fell in love with all of Jordan's characters.

Jacinda is not your typical YA heroine. Yes, she has the supernatural ability to turn into a dragon and she also catches the eye of the school bad boy, but she's a lot more than that. Jacinda is not bad ass because she fights demons or a war. She is fierce because she believes in the deep history of her people and the heritage that she must uphold. Through out the story, she sacrifices her own happiness for the safety of her family and when it's time, she willingly sacrifices herself to save her kind. I found Jacinda to be an interestingly different YA leading lady and I can't wait to see how she will surprise me in books to come. Will too is one of my favorites. He is a troubled soul that found as much solitude in Jacinda as she found in him. Their relationship has an almost Romeo and Juliet feel to it and I could not help but pull for these star-crossed lovers.

Jordan's story had great pacing and just the right amount of twists and turns. While I picked out the big twist in the story from the beginning, I still almost cried when I got to the end. Jordan has a way of weaving a story to keep you begging for more, while you're falling in love at the same time. I've been having problems getting into YA fiction lately and this story renewed my faith. This unique and stunning book will remain in my mind for weeks to come and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. If you want a book that will leave you breathless and warm your heart, please pick Firelight off of the shelf. You will most definitely not be disappointed.

10 out of 10

Happy Reading :)

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Wowzer 10 out of 10!? I've had this on my tbr list even before I had a tbr list lol!!! And now I know I really need to read it. Jacinda sounds fabulous. A lot of the times we call tough female heroines badass because well, they're smartmouths and can kick ass. I love how Jacinda is so strong because of the hope she has and sacrifices she makes. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was amazing. It was just what I needed and I loved the direction that the book took with dragons, it was so unique! I can't wait to see your thoughts when you get to this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this! I haven't heard much about it, but I've seen it around. Great review :) You've swayed me. I'm going to put it on my wish-list stat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I swayed you Becca! You won't be disappointed... it was pretty epic :)

    ReplyDelete