Saturday, June 30, 2012

Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades #2) by E.L. James - Review


Please bear with me folks. As I said in my previous review for Fifty Shades of Grey, I'm a little addicted to the series. While it's not the best I've ever read, I find myself staying up until all hours of the night and morning to finish these strange, dirty and addictive books.


Fifty Shades Darker jumps off right where Fifty Shades of Grey ends. I won't give too much away as that would ruin the end of book one for a lot of people, but Christian and Ana find themselves questioning their relationship and their personal beliefs (Which in Christian's case, may be a good thing). As if that weren't enough to cause some stress to this kinky couple, Grey's exes begin to come into the picture and Ana may be in danger of losing her life.

I did like this second installment better than Shades of Grey. I don't know if that's because we see a lot less of the Dominant Grey and more of the lovable Christian that Ana falls for or that I'm just past the shock you get from reading about the Dominant-submissive lifestyle. There was more of a plot in this story as Grey and Ana are not simply having sexual relations and fighting. In Fifty Shades Darker, Ana and Christian must overcome some big obstacles in their lives to be happy.

This book was more of a romance than the last one. It didn't shock me as much as the first book and so it's hard to compare the two. I did like Ana a little bit better in this book. She stood up for herself and actually stood up to Grey which I found much better for reading. Christian also opens up a lot more and we dig deeper into his past and it sheds more light on his baggage. He comes to terms with his issues and lets Ana in, little by little.

Now, don't think that we got away from the Twilight themes in this one people. This book, just like the last, was full of Twilight familiarity. There were even a few lines that were taken directly from Stephanie Meyer's books. Again, take it with a grain of salt, these books aren't a great works of art. Also, we still had a lot of repetition in this book which made for some confusing moments through out the book.

If you've read the first book, it's worth it to keep going in the series. This one gives you a little bit more closure than Fifty Shades of Grey and I think you'll like it even better than the first. I'm on to book three now!

6 out of 10

Happy Reading :)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment