Sunday, April 1, 2012

Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter - Review


Let me start off by saying that The Goddess Test was one of my favorite books from last year, and that after reading The Goddess Hunt, Carter's novella, I was even more excited for Goddess Interrupted. I'm a huge fan of fiction containing Greek Mythology... it's always been something that fascinates me and Carter has a special way of spinning a tale in a way that hasn't been done before. 

Goddess Interrupted starts right where the short novella, The Goddess Hunt ends. Kate is on her way to Eden on her way back from summer vacation with James (Hermes) in Greece. She cannot wait to see Henry and is excited to get her life of immortality and ruling over the dead started! What she comes to find is chaos among the gods. Henry and the other originals are in a struggle against Calliope (Hera) who is desperately trying to free their father from his confines... Cronus. She is hell bent on destroying Kate and all that she holds dear. As if the weight of the world possibly ending and a goddess with a vendetta isn't enough, James has reminded her that she doesn't need to be the queen of the underworld, or Henry's wife, it's a choice that she alone can make for herself. With the weight of that thought on her mind, she finds Henry to be cold and unwelcoming... and soon after, he's captured. Kate, James and Ava (Aphrodite) must enlist the help of Henry's ex-wife Persephone as she's the only one with the hope of helping Kate get her husband back and she is most unwilling to help...


I really, really, really (you get the picture) liked this story. I had honestly thought that Carter was going to have a hard time topping her first story in the series, but I was very mistaken. In this story we see Kate really come into her own, not only as the new queen of the underworld, but also as a person. She's no longer the little girl who does everything that she's told, she finds strength in herself to do the things that she thinks are right and to try and help save her friends.


I always try and comment on whether or not I found the heroine to be strong and powerful and I think Kate  was, but in a very different and unsuspecting way. While some might think that she was whiney and insecure, I found her to be very relatable when she was questioning Henry's love and devotion to her. She asked him out right if he loved her and if he wanted her to stay and he skirted around the answers and she kept pushing. She didn't want to spend her life in a loveless marriage in, well quite literally hell. I found this to be an extremely redeeming quality in Kate and I honestly really liked her throughout the whole book.


The whole story takes place in the actual underworld in which the characters travel miles and miles to find Persephone and the other gods. I loved this aspect of the story. Carter's interpretation of the underworld was unique and very interesting to read. I found myself hungry for more description of the inhabitants of Henry and Kate's underworld. I thought that the novel was extremely well layered and so well written I wasn't able to put it down. I actually had to wait a few days to write the review so I could get my thoughts together. I wanted people to know how much I truly enjoyed this book.


As a last note, for those who like to read the last page of a book to get an idea of whether or not they'll like it... don't do it. Just don't! The book's biggest surprise comes in the last pages and you will quite literally try and kick yourself for cheating yourself out of a surprise. At the same time, you will also be kicking yourself because you have to wait for the next installment in this awesome series.


10 out of 10


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment